Under our law (Republic Act No. 9994 and Republic Act No. 10645), Senior citizens are granted several benefits and privileges.
This is to recognize and emphasize the important role that our senior citizens play in nation-building, and to raise and address issues concerning the sector.
Here’s a list of the discounts that our elders should enjoy:
20% Senior Citizen Discount on:
- Medical-related privileges:
Medicine and drug purchases
Medical supplies, accessories and equipment
Medical and dental services
Professional fees of attending physician as well as Professional fees of licensed health workers providing home health care services
- Transportation in Air and Sea and Land which includes LRT, MRT, PNR, buses, jeepneys, taxi and shuttle services.
- Hotels, restaurants, recreational facilities, places of leisure like theaters, cinemas, concert halls, circuses, leisure and amusement
- Recreation centers fees, charges and rental for sports facilities and equipment
- Funeral services and burial expenses include casket or urn, embalming, cremation cost, and other services.
- Senior Citizens get 5% Senior Citizen Discount on Water and Electricity Bills, provided that the meter is registered under the name of the senior citizen residing therein and does not exceed 100 kWh and 30 m³.
Senior Citizen Social Pension:
- Indigent senior citizens shall be entitled to a monthly stipend amounting to P500 to augment daily subsistence and other medical needs.
- Mandatory PhilHealth coverage. All senior citizens are now covered by the national health insurance program of PhilHealth.
- Social safety nets. The social safety assistance shall include, but not be limited to, food, medicines, and financial assistance for house repair to cushion effects of economic, disaster and calamity shocks.
- Death benefit assistance. Assistance of a minimum of P2,000 shall be given to the nearest surviving relative who took care of the deceased senior citizen.
Other Benefits for Senior Citizens:
- Express lanes shall be provided in all private, banking, commercial and government establishments; priority shall be given in their absence.
- Educational privileges. Assistance shall be granted to senior citizens to pursue education through provision of scholarships, grants, financial aids, subsidies and other incentives.
- Benefits and privileges for retirees. Continuance of the same benefits and privileges by GSIS, SSS and PAG-IBIG as enjoyed by those in active service.
- Privileges on special discounts in special programs. In order to avail of these benefits, the senior citizen or his/her authorized representative shall present a valid and original Senior Citizens’ Identification Card. Details for ID application may be found here.
Some LGU’s (Local Goverment Units) also provides extra benefits to senior citizens so check with your local authority to find out other benefits that they may have for your beloved elderly.
For example: In Quezon City, centenarians on their 100th birthday will get Php10,000 as well as a certificate recognizing their hundredth birthday, a monthly allowance of Php1,000, a cash gift of Php1,000 on every succeeding birthday, and Php1,000 every Christmas.
In Manila, Senior citizens with OSCA cards can also watch movies for free on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, and are invited to join occasional tours to different places in the city. Manila’s elderly will also receive Php300 every year on their birthday plus other benefits.